We The People

We The People

Wednesday, February 12, 2014



February 12, 2014
Americana
By Tammy Derouin
A recent day trip turned into a much needed escape from reality.  I stopped in Whitehall and stayed for the afternoon.  The small town atmosphere was very inviting.  Each shop had its own unique style.  The Hokey Pokey was full of charm and the desire to purchase something from our past.  So many items caught my eye.  What a creative business these ladies have established.
The General Store was an unexpected treasure.  I walked by at first because I noticed signs indicating they were having a fabric sale.  I don’t sew, so I didn’t think I would find much of interest.  As it turns out, the store had everything I needed.  This was small town America at its best, Americana.
My senses came alive as I admired the characteristics of the old building. Squeaky floors, high ceilings and a stairway to an upper room had my imagination working overtime.  I wondered about the history of the building.  The chatter and laughter down below snapped me out of my daydream.  Visions of an apartment filled with vintage treasures went dancing through my mind. 
The chatter followed by laughter made me smile as I descended the staircase.  There were several ladies waiting in line on one side of the store.  The fabric sale had brought them in despite the winter snow warning.  They socialized as they waited to have their choice of fabric cut to length.  Everyone knew each other or so it seemed.  
When I had decided on my purchase, I stood in line right behind them.  The line had shifted to across the aisle.  I was the outsider but they made me feel welcomed. The lady who had been very busy cutting fabric only moments before had offered to take care of my purchase.  She had a momentary reprieve as all the ladies she had been assisting were now waiting to check out.  She smiled as she offered to ring up my purchase at a display table. 
There was one register and no fancy scanners.  She wrote down every item and used a calculator to tally my order.  This lovely lady didn’t wear a name tag but everyone knew her name.  She didn’t wear an ear piece attached to a radio, strapped to her waist, yet she knew when and where she was needed.  There were no attempts to sell you more than what you desired.  There weren’t any elaborate advertising gimmicks or reward card bonuses.  It felt good to be a person and not a number.   
All businesses start out small.  There’s a commercial currently running which points out that several big corporations began in a garage.  Being successful is the American dream.  Entrepreneurs are the ones who create jobs.  Nobody, including the government, should tell you there’s a limit as to how much you can make or how you should run your business.
America has many successful businesses but they tend to lose Americana.  They lose touch with their customers.  Electronic eyes and ears have replaced human intelligence.  They plug in and take direction from their collective. They’ve forgotten how to watch and learn for themselves. Big business and big government are very similar in the way they do business. 
As my day trip came to an end, I began driving towards home.  I wasn’t ready for the day to end and I certainly didn’t want to lose that small town, Americana feeling.  As the Muskegon exit signs approached, I knew where I could go.  I stopped at Lakeside Emporium.  There’s nothing like being individually greeted as you enter a shop.  I love this store.  Their sweet treats are heavenly.  Truffles, pralines and fudge, oh my!  They even had a chocolate dipped Twinkie and chocolate covered Nutter Butter.  If this isn’t Americana, I don’t know what is.
Beyond the heavenly treats, the fabric or the goods and services, it’s the way the American small business owner makes you feel welcomed.  That’s the appeal of independently owned and operated.  Hard work and endless hours are the forgotten aspects of the American dream.  The American dream is not an entitlement.  It’s not something the government can give.  Individuals, who pursue their own dream, have the opportunity, not the guarantee, of living the American dream.    
One definition of Americana includes things typical of America.  What is typical of America these days?  Does it make you feel proud?  Does it make you feel safe and secure?  Does it feel like the land of opportunity?  Another definition: collectible items; items of value representing American heritage. 
We have taken for granted the invaluable documents that have made us unique and exceptional.  America is losing its Americana.
“The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market.  And that’s why it’s so essential to preserving individual freedom.”
Milton Friedman


No comments:

Post a Comment