We The People

We The People

Wednesday, January 1, 2014


January 1, 2014
Roadrunner
By Tammy Derouin
It’s time to welcome a new and hopefully better year.  For a year that began with so much hope and optimism, wow!  I’ve referred to this past year many times as a roller coaster.  Recent years could be compared to bungee jumping or jumping out of a plane and wondering if the parachute would open.  Life has improved.
When you know ahead of time that the path is going to be rough, preparation will hopefully keep you from slamming into the dirt.  Life is full of ups and downs; that’s to be expected.  What’s deceiving is when you feel you’ve weathered the storm with blue skies on the horizon, but keep getting tossed about by wave after wave from pop-up storms.
There were times when I wanted to get off the coaster and walk away.  There were also times when I thought I had left it behind only to discover that something snagged me back.  This interruption in concentration led to the feeling that I was no longer in the cart but being dragged around from behind.  This added bonus allowed me to feel each and every individual slat as I was yanked around the track. 
At every turn there seemed to be an overabundance of challenges this past year.  I could always count on the government to provide disparaging news.  Actions by those in power have altered the fundamental foundation of our way of life.  Events that would’ve been considered fictional and unrealistic several years ago have become our reality.  Those in power have taken us off course and the people are too busy to look out the window and realize we are heading in the wrong direction.
Events closer to home have been both interesting and challenging.  Circumstances gave me the opportunity to observe how events on the world stage are very similar to events in our own little worlds.  The pattern is the same when power is abused and control is the goal.  I’ve witnessed it in my personal life.  The government and those in power have provided wonderful examples of what can happen when power and authority go unchecked.  There’s no such thing as a perfect system but a progressive is a progressive and their solution is always the same.  It’s tragic to watch as a path of destruction is set in motion time and time again.  How many times will we have to relive history?
The holiday season is not my favorite time of year.  For too many years it’s been the longest stretch of pretending life was just fine.  A few years have passed since I removed myself from a daily life of despair.  Although life in general has been better, including the holidays, it’s also become six weeks of open season on me.  My nemesis doesn’t quit, not even for the holidays. 
I’ve noticed a similarity in this situation as well, Roadrunner and Coyote.  The Roadrunner is minding his own business, just going about life.  The Coyote continuously tries to intercept and well, destroy the Roadrunner.  It’s not the Roadrunner who’s keeping ACME Supply Co. in business.  Coyote can’t get Roadrunner no matter how hard he tries.  This infuriates Coyote which causes him to escalate every assault.  At some point the pressure cooker ends up on him and he quits, for a little while. He gathers his parts, heads back to the cave and maps out his next attack. 
Every time I dodge a boulder, an anvil or a rocket with a homing device, I’m reminded of why I left.  Staying in a difficult situation because it’s familiar, and oddly enough felt safe, isn’t beneficial and only delays the inevitable.  Feeling safe in a bad situation means you’ve adapted to your surroundings.  Happiness doesn’t exist.
Every once in a while the unexpected has perfect timing.  Some surprises generate a smile.  If you’re really fortunate it comes when you need it most.  The clouds part if only for a moment and a ray of sunshine appears.  Everything happens for a reason.
I’m grateful for all the good and the challenges that life has to offer.  Every step leads to the next.  Every experience teaches and brings something of value whether it was the expected outcome or not. 
I find myself standing in line for another ride.  Maybe this roller coaster will be a little different.  There will be ups and downs and maybe, hopefully, a little tranquility along the way.  I’ve strapped myself in and wonder what challenges and enjoyments the next year will bring.    
Failure is not an option.  I may lose some feathers along the way but I refuse to give up.  Life is a journey not a destination.  Climb aboard and take a chance.
“Beep!  Beep!”
Roadrunner

 

No comments:

Post a Comment