We The People

We The People

Wednesday, April 25, 2018


Light of the World

By Tammy Derouin

I had the wonderful opportunity of being involved in a production of Godspell back when I was in high school. The thought of being on stage absolutely terrified me so I was not part of the cast. I found my comfort zone working behind the scenes. I had no idea how much my experience in the drama department and specifically the production of Godspell, would impact my life.
Image result for flickr commons images Candle Light

What seemed like a life consuming commitment at the time was over and gone forever in a blink of an eye. It was a time of new challenges, struggles and accomplishments. Many of the experiences would serve as stepping stones to understanding how to handle future challenging circumstances. They would include the value of surrounding myself with good people, accepting, facing and overcoming challenges, and the reinforcement of foundational beliefs.

At the time, I was simply enjoying the excitement of being entrusted with a new level of responsibility. I was in charge of every piece of equipment or furnishing (props) on the stage. The schedule, much like the director, was very demanding. The question became, was the end result worth such intensity and personal sacrifice? Did I believe in what I was doing? Was it worth my time and effort? I knew the answer was yes but it didn't really sink in until we stood and looked at each other after the curtain fell for the last time. I would carry those memories and many of life lessons with me for the rest of my life.

Friendships formed, and in some cases, still remain to this day. The importance of being surrounded by good God-fearing people, who were not only caring and dependable but ethical and honorable, has resonated throughout my life. The Golden Rule has always been part of my life, my beliefs, but learning what truly makes the rule so golden, seems to find its way back to this experience. Challenges are indeed challenging, among many other descriptive words. As long as you are breathing, you can expect to be challenged. How you react and treat others, despite the difficult times, not only affects you but every single person around you.

Godspell also provided a reinforcement of my beliefs in a fun and entertaining way. I can still recall most of the songs, despite the passing of more decades than I care to admit. It also served as a way to use humor to lighten the heavy load of life. Smiling and the ability to make people laugh or feel good about themselves despite your own personal battles, has been a life saving, sanity strengthening blessing.

As I searched for topics to write about, I'm always amazed at the never ending amount of hate which has consumed our society. Hate destroys more than any disease because it consumes one's soul. When hate, anger and bitterness grab hold of an individual, a group or a movement to further their agenda, their weapon of choice is aimed with nothing short of total destruction as their goal. Sadly, they do not realize they are also destroying themselves.

Prior to the Obama administration, I never experienced such levels of pure hatred and civil divide involving the American people during my lifetime. Life was not perfect and disagreements did take place. However, politics and policy could be debated without the repercussions so evident in today's society. The former president and his administration engaged in tactics to divide and conquer our land of freedom.

An individual, who could have used his position and office to create greater harmony, chose instead to cause chaos. He created much more distrust and bitter hatred among the American people. As the truth continues to unravel, I feel the true intent of the Obama administration will be exposed.

We are living in an era where your thoughts, beliefs and ideals are only free to practice if they are supported by a militant political movement. If you think independently or do not follow the popular movement of choice, your rights are not important. Sadly, you even run the risk of being physically attacked, verbally assaulted or a smear campaign could be launched against you.

Our society has moved away from God. Perhaps we need to revisit a Book which encourages life, love and forgiveness rather than embracing ideology which supports death, hatred and conquering and destroying individuals who do not share the same beliefs. Our nation was founded on Christian beliefs. The Book of Matthew is a good starting place for review.

So let your light so shine before men let your light so shine so that they might know some kindness again....”

Godspell – Light of the World




No comments:

Post a Comment