We The People

We The People

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Glory Days

By Tammy Derouin

I was part of several conversations this past week which allowed me to reminisce.  I took several trips back to a time in my life which I refer to as my glory days.  It was a time when life was good.  Politically speaking, Reagan was in office.  Need I say more? 

My glory days were the late 1980’s.  I was an adult but I wasn’t over burdened with life’s responsibilities. Several friends from high school were still part of my life.  Coca~Cola was sold in 16.9 oz. glass bottles.  The entertainment world produced many television shows and movies that were worth watching.  I enjoyed the music and witnessed the birth of something called MTV.  The VJ didn’t replace the DJ.    

The names of  television shows and movies, as well as songs, performers, actors, events and popular activities were tossed about to see if others had similar reactions.  The excitement grew as someone would recall a personal flashback.  An entertaining story would follow.   Springsteen was right, “Glory days, well they’ll pass you by.”  It’s important to realize what you’ve got before it’s gone.

I’m not saying that life was perfect, because it wasn’t.  I think we all have a time in our life that we like to revisit. It only takes an image, a song or a location to take me back.  I knew I was enjoying life but I had no idea how important those days would eventually come to mean.

I felt safe and secure.  Regardless of who was in office, I didn’t feel like my country was being compromised by those we elected to represent and protect us.  No matter which side of the political aisle a politician resided, I felt that there was a genuine love of country.

Our country is on the decline, something I never thought possible prior to 2008. I remember a time when those in power tried to unite the country during times of conflict and loss.  Today the powers that be enjoy creating conflict to divide the country, which will ultimately be our loss. 

I no longer feel safe and secure.  There are so few in office who I feel will not compromise and sacrifice our way of life, our very existence.  Both sides of the political aisle are dangerously corrupt.  I no longer feel that there is a genuine love of country.

Most people are raised with a moral code of conduct.  We learn that it’s wrong to be dishonest and deceitful, to steal and to cheat, to kill and to harm others.  Our behavior is evaluated right from the start.  Our family members observe and make corrections.  How we follow the rules and treat others is monitored and recorded at the earliest grades.  We are judged and critiqued by our behavior at every turn.   

Our behavior determines how many people, as well as the type of people, who wish to associate with us.  We try to surround ourselves with people of similar qualities.  Do we invite honorable or questionable behavior into our lives?  Behavior determines your reputation.  No one goes through life without making mistakes or dealing with uncontrollable circumstances.  Do you take responsibility and meet the challenges head-on or do you blame others and make excuses?

Even in today’s high-tech world and with the 24/7 demands we have placed on ourselves, personality and character are still highly regarded.  People want people with ethics and integrity working for or with them.  People want to associate with those who have the same moral character.  You are judged by the company you keep.

So why do we go through life learning right from wrong, demanding certain behavior and expelling those from our life when they fall short, only to embrace and encourage the immoral and unethical low ground we have allowed our government to take?  They represent us!  Do we truly accept corruption?  Do we truly approve of lying, cheating, targeting and harming others?  Do we no longer care if the rules, the law of the land are followed?

Behavior, such as we have allowed our elected representation to get away with, with cheers and applause no less, would have been banished from our lives.  We do not accept this kind of behavior in our personal lives, why do we accept it from our elected representation?

When we look back, and we most certainly will, The United States of America, although not perfect, will be missed once we allow it to collapse.  The glory days will be known as the days of freedom, independence and personal responsibility.  They will pass you by if you refuse to realize the valuable gifts we possess and neglect to protect and defend them.

“The people have a right, an indisputable, unalienable, indefeasible, driven right to that most dreaded and envied kind of knowledge – I mean of the character and conduct of their rulers.”

John Adams


No comments:

Post a Comment